HERBAL PHARM Rx
All-Natural Wellness Solutions for Healthy Living
How CBD Helps Insomnia
Most of what we think of as needs are actually wants. A bigger house, a new car, the latest iPad or iPhone, or a fancy coffee drink that sets us back almost six bucks. There are very few actual needs for humans to survive. These needs include: food, clothing, shelter, and sleep. The longest recorded period a person has gone without sleep is 11 days, set back in 1965 by a high-school kid for a science project (now that’s dedication!). No one has actually died from sleep deprivation that we know of; however, humans can only go about 72 hours before they start to hallucinate.
Herbal Pharm Rx, a supplier of CBD and CBD oils, understands insomnia and the frustration along with the physical problems people face when they are unable to sleep. Sleep deprivation causes a variety of problems, including cognitive impairments, irritability, delusions, paranoia, and psychosis. Medical causes of insomnia include allergies, gastrointestinal problems, endocrine problems, arthritis, asthma, and chronic pain. Insomnia is also caused by anxiety, stress, and depression as well as lifestyle choices such as working night shifts or taking long naps during the day. In this blog post, Herbal Pharm Rx will go over how CBD has been shown to help relieve insomnia.
WHAT CAUSES INSOMNIA?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report that 35 percent of American adults don’t get enough sleep per night. Chronic partial sleep deprivation is associated with both short-term health risks and long-term complications. Your body relies on sleep in order to heal, to rejuvenate, to process, to strengthen, and to function. Doctors aren’t sure how sleep happens and why our bodies are programmed for such a long period of rest. But scientists do understand some of sleep’s critical functions, and the reasons we need it for optimal health and wellbeing. So why do we need sleep?
- Memories. If we didn’t sleep, odds are we wouldn’t remember all of the events in our life — and memories are what make life worth living. Think about all the information you take in in just one day. We don’t process all of this information or store it until we sleep. Known as consolidation, during the night, bits and pieces of information are transferred from our temporary storage facility (or short-term memory) to our stronger, long-term memory. If we get sleep, we also retain that information from the day before better and perform better when tested.
- Grow. Your body only releases its growth hormones during deep sleep. Your pituitary glands produce the growth hormones, which enter the bloodstream. This causes your bones to thicken, strengthen, and lengthen little by little — like adding a layer every time these hormones are released. This is something we as humans cannot control or reproduce.
- Heal. Again, hormones are the reason your body heals at night. Scientists think that when you sleep, your brain finally has time to attend to other issues that aren’t as pressing as when you’re awake such as eating and working. The brain triggers the release of hormones that causes tissue growth to repair blood vessels. Wounds heal faster and sore and/or damaged muscles are renewed as well. More white blood cells are made as well that can attack viruses and bacteria that may be impeding the healing process. Your immune system relies on sleep to be able to fight harmful substances.
HOW CBD CAN HELP WITH INSOMNIA
There are many reasons people don’t sleep. One of them is stress and anxiety. CBD, a one hundred percent natural compound found in the hemp plant, helps balance our endocannabinoid system, which is a system throughout the body that keeps us in homeostasis or in balance. CBD interacts with the endocannabinoid system by affecting its receptors in our brain, which impacts our stress response, mood, inflammation, and pain. Each of us has natural endocannabinoids that we produce. When these natural endocannabinoids in our body are deficient, our body’s systems are thrown out of whack. In addition, CBD affects one major endocannabinoid called anandamide by preventing it from being broken down, which helps us not respond to stressful event, another contributor to our lack of sleep at night.
Thus, more and more people are turning to CBD and CBD oil products as a sleep aid — to help relieve the stress from life in the 21st century. CBD restores calm to your body’s stress response, causing cortisol and adrenaline to return to normal. Studies are still preliminary, but as more and more are done, CBD promises to be used more widely to help with insomnia. CBD oil is believed to work by interacting with our network of receptors, proteins, and other chemicals in the brain that influence all sorts of things, including anxiety and the sleep-wake cycles that are inherent to obtaining a quality (and healthy) night’s sleep.
Specifically, CBD may be able to:
- Increase overall sleep amounts
- Aid in falling asleep
- Improve sleep quality once we’re asleep
- Reduce insomnia
CBD AND HOW SLEEP WORKS
Sleep is generally divided into multiple cycles with different phases, and researchers believe CBD oil increases sleep in the third phase, or the deep sleep phase. CBD also can decrease the duration of REM sleep, which is a phase of light sleep and is also the phase where dreams occur. By reducing REM sleep, people dream less (meaning better quality sleep), which promotes better memory functionality and symptoms of depression fall.
CBD is also known to promote alertness, and even to activate receptors that are traditionally activated by caffeine. So how does CBD accomplish such divergent reactions in humans?
As it turns out, healthy sleep-wake cycles are extremely dependent on our state of alertness during the day. Those who suffer from insomnia are likely drowsy, fatigued, and generally out-of-sorts during the afternoon, which wreaks havoc on your sleep-wake cycle. Getting non-REM sleep is challenging when you don’t sleep in the first place.
When appropriate doses of CBD are taken during the day (which can vary and a doctor should be consulted, but usually once in the morning and once at night), daytime performance is improved as well as the sleep-wake cycle, including the ability of the body to enter non-REM sleep.
THE FUTURE OF CBD AND INSOMNIA
Like all medical conditions with regards to CBD, more research needs to be done to better understand exactly how CBD acts on the sleep-cycle. However, there is no doubt CBD can influence those suffering with insomnia in positive ways.
All of these factors can potentially lend to a natural, much-improved sleep, a boon to millions who suffer from insomnia. Herbal Pharm Rx sells CBD tinctures, balms, oils, and gummies to those suffering from insomnia. Whether you ingest CBD or rub the balm on your temples before you go to bed, sleep is not far away.
Herbal Pharm Rx believes in helping others. We do this through offering the highest quality CBD products available to our consumers to help with not only with insomnia, but also with inflammation, pain, and epilepsy. We offer CBD balm, which is perfect for topical use, featuring a roll on applicator and tinctures in Lemon, Natural, and Peppermint flavors. CBD capsules are also available. Visit our online store today for all of you CBD oil needs!