HERBAL PHARM Rx
All-Natural Wellness Solutions for Healthy Living
How CBD Can Help Seniors: Part 2
Getting older can be no fun. You creak when you wake. You creak when you bend over. You creak when you stand up. You creak every time you move it seems. However, just because you creak as a senior doesn’t mean you have to give up your active, healthy lifestyle. Herbal Pharm Rx is a leading online retailer of CBD and CBD oils that can provide pain relief, relieve inflammation and sore muscles, and can help with arthritis. We are passionate about helping seniors lead quality lives without pain.
In part one of Herbal Pharm Rx’s series on how CBD can help seniors, we explored insomnia, pain relief, glaucoma, and healthy bones and CBD’s impact on those conditions. In this blog series, we’ll explore CBD and alzheimer’s, dementia, appetite, and alternatives to prescription drugs.
WHAT IS CBD?
CBD is a cannabidiol that is found in the hemp plant. It is the non-psychoactive strain and appeals to many patients as it’s been shown to help people looking for relief from inflammation, pain, anxiety, psychosis, seizures, spasms, and other conditions without harmful side effects.
HOW CBD CAN HELP MEDICAL CONDITIONS SPECIFIC TO SENIORS
- Prescription drugs. There’s no denying that prescription drugs are a huge industry that rely on people using them to relieve certain conditions, the most common being pain. However, as most seniors know, prescription drugs can be incredibly expensive, especially when the medication is necessary on a daily or monthly basis. A lot of prescription drugs have dangerous and cumbersome side effects, such as organ damage, tissue damage, nausea, drug addiction, and even death. CBD oils can provide pain relief that prescription drugs cover and help with certain conditions prescription drugs help with without the dangers of prescription drugs and the addictive quality as well. No deaths from CBD useage have ever been documented.
- Alzheimer’s and dementia. While research is still in its infancy, CBD and CBD oils (cannabinoids essentially) could possibly contribute to the elimination of a toxic protein related to this disease that causes inflammation of the brain and could lead to the possible regeneration of damaged cells.
- Appetite. Most of us know CBD’s cousin, THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), the cannabinoid which is the main psychoactive component in marijuana (aka, the part that gets you high), causes the munchies. An often overlooked problem with seniors is their loss of appetite, which leads to weight loss and muscle loss as well as impacts bone health and memory problems. Eating disorders are far more common among seniors than realized as nearly 80 percent of deaths that occur due to anorexia occur among the elderly. Studies have found that the body’s endocannabinoid system may become impaired amongst patients with anorexia and bulimia, making the brain look at food as undesirable. Eating disorders are often treated with antidepressants and antipsychotics, but patients often report their symptoms worsening after taking them. CBD can help stimulate appetite in seniors.
- Restores homeostasis. Homeostasis is a term used to describe the process of maintaining internal balance in an ever-changing external environment. In humans, homeostasis refers to a plethora of individual yet interdependent processes that ultimately keep our bodies functioning properly, such as temperature regulation and insulin production. When your body is in balance, you have energy to do things and you feel good. The system that controls homeostasis is called the endocannabinoid system (ECS), which is what CBD acts on. CBD also has amazing antioxidant properties that help fight free radicals, strengthen the cells in the body, and help with cell regeneration.
- Anxiety/Mental Health Disorders. CBD has been shown to help with various mental issues, such as obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), panic attacks, depression, and anxiety. Essentially, these studies (conducted in animals, at this point) found that CBD helps stimulate serotonin receptors in the brain, which is the main goal of other anti-anxiety medications like Zoloft. CBD may also help counteract addictions to other prescription drugs.
Seniors can benefit from CBD and CBD oil use. Many problems affecting seniors are controlled by the ECS. Altering the ECS can help with pain relief and with symptoms of many common ailments in our senior population.
Herbal Pharm Rx aims to provide seniors and others with CBD and CBD oils. We believe in promoting the health and happiness seniors have worked hard their entire lives to enjoy. By providing CBD tinctures, CBD capsules, and CBD edibles, Herbal Pharm Rx is helping seniors to enjoy their golden years with less pain and problems related to their health. CBD can help with anxiety and mental health disorders, restore balance (or homeostasis) to the body, be a replacement for prescription drugs, and help prevent or curtail the effects of Alzheimer’s and dementia. Herbal Pharm Rx values lifestyle and our products allow seniors to do the things that make their heart sing. Contact us today!